

http://www.envirosports.com/exec/enviro/maps/napatrailmap.gif
SO, for the past several months, Rebecca and I have been training for this 1/2 marathon in Napa. We felt very ready for the run, we had run 10 miles the week before averaging about 9 minute miles and felt pretty good afterwards. Training in the city with all the hills and through the Presidio, we felt pretty comfortable with hills.
We were aware that we were running in a trail run, however for some weird reason we could not find a trail map online. The only info. we could find was a description of the run. It said something like, "single track, dirt terrain". Well, we thought, "no problem". I believe it should have said, "rocky mountain climb", with a warning of steep cliffs, several creeks to jump and wasp attacks. YES, it was THAT BAD! There was literally a point when we were at a stop because people were taking turns climbing a sharp rocky cliff. Toward the end of our first lap somebody must have tampered with a wasp nest because people were getting stung left and right. I was stung in my right thigh. It continued to throb until the end of my race and for over a week afterward. I swear it was some crazy species that causes your leg to swell twice it's normal size and wake you up all night.
There were points in the race when we were laughing in sarcasm at the ridiculousness of the terrain, we figured it was the better thing to do since others were cursing out loud as they ran. As we came upon our half-way point we had a plan to end our run by running the remaining 6.5 miles on the flat road instead. Anyway, we sucked it up and finished it off. We still have plans of making up our own race through the city so we can feel we actually ran a legitimate 1/2 marathon.
P.S. Thank you Mom for coming and helping with the kids. I know you love me, or you wouldn't have driven the truck so far to see me run. I love you.
11 comments:
Rocia, That's how envirosport's races are. I did one in the headleads with the ward last year that was amazingly hard. We were either running straight uphill (and walking in the case of most people) or straight downhill on a small dirt trail. It finished with a 1/2 mile run in the sand, I was muddy and exhausted by the time I finished, but the scenery was beautifu, it was also nice because it's about the only race out there that's actually on a Saturday instead of a Sunday. I would recommend the Nike 1/2 for a fun, well-organized race!
Hey way to go on the 1/2 marathon. What a trooper you are. I love to run but I don't think I wold do a marathon. Especially through the mountains. Way to go. It was fun to see pictures of your growing family. You guys all look great!! Jessie
more like we DID have plans to run our own half marathon through the city. And then we came to our senses
You two should still be proud of yourselves...I want to do a 1/2 someday and then a full one maybe. For sure the Nike one in SF if just for the tiffany bracelet. It might be the only way I'll ever get anything from Tiffanys.
great job! we have a neighbor who just ran a marathon in indiana, so i can imagine all the work you guys put into training, that's not an easy thing, so kudos!(and way cute halloween pics, i love rockwell's feathered hat!)
Whats the point of running and exercising. I just like to sit on my couch and eat Klondike bars and watch reality TV.
Sincerely,
Most Americans
P.S- That is a great accomplishment Rocia. Good work
Maybe we should try and run the SF one together someday. I'd do it for a Tiffany's bracelet.
I am so proud of you! I think I already gave you a comment about the 1/2 marathon...but I couldn't resist now that you have a post about it. I don't know if I would go as far to say that I might run one, but you have inspired me to want to start running, MAYBE. I love you. Congrats!
You are awesome Rocia!!! Good job! Maybe someday I'll so that! What a great accomplishment!
This story is hilarious! Good job girls!!! From now on 1/2 marathons will be a piece of cake.
What a bummer of a race after all that training. Yikes! You should sign up for the Moab, Ut one in the spring--since it's sooo close by. But, no, it was a great one to do. Good JOB!!!!! for finishing it and now you have great stories to tell!!!1
Post a Comment