Well.....I have been having constant headaches for the last couple of months. I really have no energy and motivation to do anything. I feel grumpy all the time and go to bed and wake up even more miserable. I usually have my second wind at night and stay up really late, but lately I am exhausted at 7pm when my kids are going to bed. I have tried everything in my power to get my headaches to leave. Everyone wants to tell me how to get rid of them too and they just really don't know the severity I guess. When two Motrin and two extra strength Tylenol taken together don't do much I know it is beyond..."did you drink enough water?" Ummm, yep i do. Anyway, I waited until Emerson's break last week to go to the doctor so he could babysit. First visit was to my primary care doctor who did a huge run down and in the end gave my some anti-depressants for my headaches(which i am not using) & referred me to an opthamologist, allergist & physical therapist. My first visit was to the allergist. I know I have allergies. At least that is what my pediatrician said growing up. My asthma is allergy induced and whenever I walk into a house with cats and some dogs I immediately begin wheezing. So, the allergist talked with me and asked me tons of questions and then asked me how I was feeling and I said fine(besides the headache). He asked if I felt clear today and I said yes. Then he looked up my nose and said, "umm, no you are totally congested on the left side." Oh, I guess I am totally used to it I just can't even tell. Anyway, he pricked me 16 times with several different allergens. Some of them native to San Francisco and Sacramento. My right arm within one second itched like crazy and begin to swell. The picture above is my right arm after I had returned from my appointment. The top two dots are dust mites and are continuing to bother me today(a week later) they are still inf lammed and itchy. Which he believes is my major issue and continued to inform me of the pounds of dust mites that we sleep with at night......barf. Then the rest are cats, dogs, cypress, juniper and cedar trees, grass and olive tees. Wonderful, everything in the Presidio and my parents yard. Well, in a nut shell I now know why I am miserable on my bed and couch. Which is where I sit at the end of the day when the kids are finally in bed. So, he told me to purchase covers for every article I sleep with and purchase new couches(recommending leather). So far, Nasonex and Claritan are not really cutting it and I really am not down for allergy shots. My headaches to date seem a tiny bit better, but are still there. Can someone please invent a diagnostic machine for the human body?
Friday, April 4, 2008
Headache Saga...
Well.....I have been having constant headaches for the last couple of months. I really have no energy and motivation to do anything. I feel grumpy all the time and go to bed and wake up even more miserable. I usually have my second wind at night and stay up really late, but lately I am exhausted at 7pm when my kids are going to bed. I have tried everything in my power to get my headaches to leave. Everyone wants to tell me how to get rid of them too and they just really don't know the severity I guess. When two Motrin and two extra strength Tylenol taken together don't do much I know it is beyond..."did you drink enough water?" Ummm, yep i do. Anyway, I waited until Emerson's break last week to go to the doctor so he could babysit. First visit was to my primary care doctor who did a huge run down and in the end gave my some anti-depressants for my headaches(which i am not using) & referred me to an opthamologist, allergist & physical therapist. My first visit was to the allergist. I know I have allergies. At least that is what my pediatrician said growing up. My asthma is allergy induced and whenever I walk into a house with cats and some dogs I immediately begin wheezing. So, the allergist talked with me and asked me tons of questions and then asked me how I was feeling and I said fine(besides the headache). He asked if I felt clear today and I said yes. Then he looked up my nose and said, "umm, no you are totally congested on the left side." Oh, I guess I am totally used to it I just can't even tell. Anyway, he pricked me 16 times with several different allergens. Some of them native to San Francisco and Sacramento. My right arm within one second itched like crazy and begin to swell. The picture above is my right arm after I had returned from my appointment. The top two dots are dust mites and are continuing to bother me today(a week later) they are still inf lammed and itchy. Which he believes is my major issue and continued to inform me of the pounds of dust mites that we sleep with at night......barf. Then the rest are cats, dogs, cypress, juniper and cedar trees, grass and olive tees. Wonderful, everything in the Presidio and my parents yard. Well, in a nut shell I now know why I am miserable on my bed and couch. Which is where I sit at the end of the day when the kids are finally in bed. So, he told me to purchase covers for every article I sleep with and purchase new couches(recommending leather). So far, Nasonex and Claritan are not really cutting it and I really am not down for allergy shots. My headaches to date seem a tiny bit better, but are still there. Can someone please invent a diagnostic machine for the human body?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
Cia... I'm so sorry that sounds horrible. Like it's not enough to be a busy Mom and worry about your kiddos... what Mom has time to worry about herself? You should talk to my Mom. The last few years Heather has had horrible hives and allergic reactions. She was recently diagnosed with allergies to just about everything. They seriously had a whole page of things she is allergic too. Anyway my Mom has found some things to do that have helped her. I wish I stayed in better contact with you. I miss you and love you!
SO NASTY! I wish I could do something for you...hey why don't we trade our physical problems? Ok great. You didn't want psoriasis? Dang. I love you and wish you didn't have asthma, allergies, tailbone and all other obnoxious physical "ailments". Hopefully getting new couches and bed cover will help.
Thats crazy! that doesnt sound like fun at all! WELL, I know new leather couches would sure make me feel better! good luck!
oh my! What a slob you are... why don't you ever clean your house and wash your sheets to get rid of those critters living with you!? just kidding! Maybe you're physically drained because you run 10+ miles at a time! I think you need a massage next time you're in Sac. :)
Cia, we are like the same person or something, because I totally have allergies, asthma, headaches, back pain... the works. I feel for you. People who don't have allergies don't understand how miserable they are! When I got my first allergy test shots, my whole arm swelled like a balloon. They couldn't even tell what specifically I was allergic to. I have tried all the allergy meds out there (Claritin, Zyrtec, etc. just don't cut it), but the one that has worked best for me is Allegra. You should try it out. Hope it helps!
Cia, I am so sorry! That's so unfair. Yucky yucky, I only get mild allergies in the spring, when my eyes never stop watering and I sneeze like a banchy, but that is enough for me. I would definitely go get the leather, it's doctor prescribed, he he.
Oh perfect. Yes Cia, you should just buy new leather couches and did he mention it would all go away if you ate only whole, raw, organic foods?? Easy right? (;
I'm sorry about the headaches!!
You poor little allergic girl! It sounds/looks awful. I have allergies too and have thought about going to an allergist to figure out what exactly I'm allergic to, but after seeing your arm now I don't want to!
That stinks girl. I bet you its the MOLD that is growing everywhere! J/K Hope you can find some things to help ya. Thats no fun!
i used to get horrible headaches and then I went to a chiropractor. You might try it just once to see if it helps out your headaches at all. As for allergies... I am allergic to about every citric fruit, raw honey, walnuts, pecans etc. and i have psoriasis and exema. I feel for you. Most of my allergies came after I had Brinley.I have to ask what is in everything I eat when we go to dinner or a ward function... fun huh?
arah, you and kaisa need to talk about your psoriasis....lame.
To answer your question on my blog, we are in Missouri in this tiny town called Kirksville! The school he is attending is KCOM (Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine) at ATSU (A.T. Still University).How's that for long words! It was his top choice DO school,and we were happy to get accepted here!
What Tashi was saying...What you can do (even though I know you don't want shots) is a two to three year treatment of shots every two weeks or so. I know it doesn't sound fun, but at the end of the two to three year period you should be free of some of your allergies. My brother in law is doing it and it has seemed to work for him. Heather also just started so we will see what happens with her. Good luck. Love you!
it is lame...an obviosly something we got from the Erickson side of the family.
I'm glad you posted about this! I have allergy issues too. I let in a Kirby vacuum salesman yesterday, and it was so nasty all the dirt he pulled up from the carpet, couches, and gross, our mattress! it made sense though, we've been sick all, seriously, all winter long. he read a allergy report saying the temperature in the house makes the bacteria in the dirt, etc grow and causes the the colds, etc. i hope you feel better! i had those scratches done on my back when i was little, no fun.
Cia,
I know you've had so many comments on this post but I do have a story.
Heather had an allergy test done, but they did it on her back. Out of 100 pin pricks only 9 or 10 didn't swell up. She is basically allergic to every tree, grass, bush, and weed in Utah. She is also allergic to dust mites, cats, dogs, corn, oranges, string beans, celery, peas, white potatoes, carrots, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, and molds (indoor and outdoor). Heather has had eczema since she was born and ADHD. She has her share of stuff however the allergy thing is getting under control. She is taking shots twice a week and watching what she eats etc. Most important the doctor prescribed a new med called xyzal.(Probably mis-spelled). Thank goodness Heather has a sense of humor. She is hillarious. You would not believe what a wonderful girl she is. We enjoy her so much. She really does keep us laughing all the time. Maybe you and Heather could share some allergy stories. Love you Cia
WOW, those are pretty big! Wasn't it the hardest thing not to scratch them? I hope all the things the Doc recommended will make a big difference!
Rocia that's horrible! I am so sorry! Yuck yuck. No fun. You are my hero though. I don't have any advice for you, my mom get's headaches but I don't think they are allergy related, they're hormone related so...can't help ya there. Hope it gets bettah.
Cia, next time you are in sac you need to stop in and see my dad. he can help with the allergies and the headaches. I am so sorry that you have been feeling so awful. It is so hard when you have so many others to take care of. You don't need all the drugs...please just stop in and see how he can help. It wouldn't make it worse!!!
love ya, aub
oh and shame on brooke for not mentioning it first!
My doctor told me Xyzal is just Zyrtec in disguise... so if Zyrtec doesn't work for you, neither will Xyzal.
Post a Comment